Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Asprin Experiment

Aspirin Lab

The last two days I have been creating Aspirin in the lab. Aspirin is a synthetic organic derived from salicylic acid. In the experiment acetic anhydride is added to a measured mass of saliylic acid in the presence of a catalyst (sulfuric acid). The mixture is heated to form acetylsalicylic acid and acetic acid. After cold water is added to destroy the excess acetic anyhydride and cause the product to crystallize. Below are some photos from our experiment! 


 Day 1: Heating the mixture of salicylic acid and acetic anhydride.

Day 2: Filtering out the crystals from day 1.
Day 2: Photo of our product in the Buchner Funnel being dried out. 



4 comments:

  1. I noticed that you produced a pretty good amount aspirin. I too made a large amount. I do question our results because there was other groups that made aspirin with a brown tint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed how you summarized the experiment in a simplified way. I wish I had not explained it so much on mine. I would recommend that you provide your findings such as different masses of things from the experiment, but other than that I think you did a great job! The labels on the pictures were very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your summary of the lab was pristine. I enjoyed how uncomplicated your description was, yet you were able to relay the information of the lab to the reader.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job on your lab! It looks like you and your partner produced a lot of aspirin. Too bad your partner did all the work ;).

    ReplyDelete